Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Our first grocery store outting

Well, there comes a time when you realize that you can't eat take out forever! Yes it is convenient, not that pricey here but you want something familiar when you're so far away from home. Why I thought I would find this in a Chinese grocery store is beyond me.

Well the market is somewhat like Wal-Mart for lack of a better way to explain it. Outside you see a gang of bikes parked. That is the preferred mode of transportation. They ride with hospital masks over their face, I'm guessing from the high incidence of pollution. But anyway. They have a McDonald's just like Wal-Mart. You walk in there are clothing and shoe booths on the bottom level.

There is an escalator to take you to the next level. The only thing that is different is that it is flat so you can take your shopping cart on it. The shopping cart magically sticks to the escalator so that is will not move.

OK, the next level is home goods and electronics. We had to get some towels, a pillow, and some plates. So initally we were looking for some paper plates. We walked around the same isle 4 times thinking that we had overlooked them. There was a woman who worked there who kept looking at us like what in the world are you two doing getting exercise? :-)

So we decided on real plates.

Next I went to look in the shoe section. Their prices are extremely reasonable on a good pair of sneakers. 85 - 109 RMB that is about $15 - $20. Can you get that in the states?. . .

The food is on the third floor so we have to take the cool escalator to the third floor. This I would have to say was one of the most frustrating supermarket trips to date. The prizewinner being when I was pregnant with Solomon and couldn't decide what in the world I wanted to eat. Well that is how i felt in here because there was an abundance of food so of which could be identified by looking at the American similarities. Others I had no clue what in the world they were. I mean they were strange. They carried squid in the meat section, dried minnows, these little miny "crunchy shrimp" an array of seaweed, cooked wierded out chickens (with the head on), ducks, there were probably some dog and cat there too because I couldn't identify a few of the meats. They had everything you could think of if you were Chinese and could actually read what is is the label said.

I had to go for what I knew. I got some ramen noodles, fruit, juice, fried rice --> very good might I add, and a whole cooked chicken --> leave the head thank you.

We came out of the store with towels, washcloths, food, plates, juice, and something else for about $25 US dollars. I'm starting to like this place! It brings out the bargain shopper in me.

On the way home Sheldon and I were both walking and looking around at everything and taking it in. Sometimes you have to sit back and absorb your surroundings. A lot of people so not get the opportunity to be in another state let alone another country on another continent. That is an overwhelming feeling. But a good one nonetheless.

OK I clearly forgot to add the part about my little baby magnet. Solomon was stopping traffic. When we were in the supermarket the workers came behind the meat counter to touch Solomon! I was thoroughly GROSSED OUT!!! EWWWWWWWW!! Hello people you have been playing with meat!!! if I could say it in Chinese I would tell you to go wash your hands because that is just what I did to Solomon before he put his hands in his mouth and caught SARS! "That's just nasty!" :-) --> Sissy that was for you!

Well, until next time. Sheldon has a game today so I am sure that travel will be interesting.

Later gators!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

that was funny...... I cannot wait until the next story.